US Golf Association executive Craig Annis conceded in comments to Golf Week magazine that it is "increasingly likely" that the US Open will be postponed in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic. In an article posted online on Thursday, Golf Week reported that USGA officials are holding off on an announcement about the major championship, scheduled for June 18-21 at Winged Foot in Mamaroneck, New York, as golf governing bodies around the world scramble to come up with a modified schedule for a season up-ended by the virus. "At this point we are not in a position to confirm any specific dates," Annis, the USGA's chief brand officer, told Golf Week.
Next month's Senior PGA Championship joined the lengthy list of golf events to be hit by the coronavirus pandemic on Tuesday as US officials confirmed cancellation of the May 19-24 tournament. A statement from the PGA of America said the tournament scheduled to take place at Harbor Shores Resort in Benton Harbor, Michigan, had been axed after state authorities issued a stay-at-home order on March 23. "While we are incredibly disappointed, we all understand that protecting public health is the highest priority," said PGA of America chief executive Seth Waugh.
LPGA commissioner Mike Whan says he is working on three scenarios for a possible return to competition, knowing any firm timetable depends on global success in fighting the coronavirus pandemic. Whan, in comments to the No Laying Up podcast posted Thursday on the women's tour's website, said it has been "a busy, stressful time" trying to juggle options for the first LPGA event since February 16 in Australia. "Just like any other tour you talk to, we've got three scenarios -- a scenario that says we start playing in the next month, a scenario that says we don't start playing until mid-July, a scenario that says we don't start playing until mid-September," Whan said.
The Senior PGA Championship will not be played this year because of the coronavirus pandemic, the PGA of America announced Thursday. It was scheduled to be played May 21-24 at Harbor Shores Resort in Benton Harbor, Mich. The event was to be the second of five majors on the Champions Tour this season.
Golf Australia on Thursday reiterated its recommendation that all golf courses in the country should be closed until further notice due to the coronavirus pandemic after some clubs continued to allow play this week. Australia has instructed people to stay inside unless shopping for food or taking exercise as it tries to contain the virus, which has infected more than 5,200 and killed 25 in the country. According to the most recent golf club participation reports, Australians play more than 10 million rounds of golf a year and there was some anger when Golf Australia first recommended that courses be shut down.
Caddies are golf's unsung heroes but they will never earn the riches made by some of the players and many will struggle during the European Tour suspension caused by the coronavirus pandemic, their chairman says. The pandemic has also brought a halt to conversations that Sean Russell and his association were having with prospective sponsors after he negotiated a groundbreaking agreement with the European Tour. Some caddies have been sacked the week after a player has won a tournament.
The 149th edition of the championship is set to take place from July 16-19 at Royal St George's in Sandwich, Kent. Coronavirus has caused havoc with the sporting calendar, including the postponement of the first two golf majors of the year, the Masters and the US PGA Championship. "We are continuing to work through our options for The Open this year, including postponement," R&A chief executive Martin Slumbers said in a statement.
The report, which sourced an unnamed person familiar with the negotiations, said the charity match would be held at an undisclosed location without fans and is being organised by the PGA Tour and AT&T's WarnerMedia. The negotiations are still being finalised but the match pitting 15-times major champion Woods and Manning against five-times major winner Mickelson and Brady could be aired on live TV and is unlikely to be featured on pay-per-view, the report said.
Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson are in talks to stage a golf event to help coronavirus relief efforts that would also include NFL stars Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, according to multiple reports Wednesday. Golf.com and CNBC reported the 18-hole match, which has yet to be approved by US PGA Tour officials, will be played and feature two-man teams with each major golf star joined by an NFL quarterback legend. Mickelson defeated Woods in 2018 in a one-on-one matchup for $9 million in a pay-per-view event staged in Las Vegas.
Organizers of the US PGA Tour's Canadian Open, the final tuneup for June's US Open, were reassessing options Wednesday in the wake of Toronto city officials canceling event permits. World number one Rory McIlroy is the defending champion at the Canadian Open, the longest-running tour event outside the US and British Opens, dating to 1904. Toronto officials voided all event permits and access to city services through June 30 because of the coronavirus pandemic.