Category: Boxing, MMA & UFC

Boxing, MMA & UFC News

'Gus' scores two wins, knocks out Glover Teixeira, gets engaged after bout

UFC light heavyweight Alexander Gustafsson proposes to girlfriend Moa Johansson after knocking out Glover Teixeira Sunday in Stockholm, Sweden. (Getty Images)

It was a big night for Alexander Gustafsson in more ways than one. The UFC light heavyweight contender sent the home crowd at Ericsson Globe Arena in Stockholm, Sweden, home happy with a dominant KO victory over Glover Teixeira Sunday.

Then, after taking care of business in the cage, he turned his attention to what he needed to do outside of it. He dropped to one knee and proposed to girlfriend Moa Antonia Johansson after the win, and the two embraced in the Octagon after the bout.

It was a dominant performance by Gustafsson, who won each of the four completed rounds on all three judges’ scorecards before the stoppage at 1:07 of the fifth.

SHE SAID YES!!!

CONGRATS @AlexTheMauler!!! #UFCStockholm pic.twitter.com/i9TSh3UQte

— UFC (@ufc) May 28, 2017

Gustafsson used his huge reach advantage and his mobility to control Teixeira. Teixeira is an extremely hard hitter, but his striking defense is questionable and Gustafsson is much quicker.

The result was that Gustafsson stayed at range and fired bombs at Teixeira, landing big shots repeatedly. He finished the fight, connecting with a pair of uppercuts and then a right hand. The uppercut had been a money punch for him throughout the bout.

But he had to be patient and not rush things because Teixeira was always dangerous.

“Glover is a tough, tough guy,” Gustafsson said. “I was so honored to fight him here in my home in Stockholm. He has a good chin. He’s a real fighter. He goes through the pain and just keeps going. He is a strong, heavy-handed fighter. I just couldn’t stand and trade with him. I had to move and score points. I just took my time to get there.”

In an upset in the co-main event, Volkan Oezdemir knocked out highly touted Misha Cirkunov in just 28 seconds, putting Cirkunov to sleep with a crunching short right hand.

Alexander Gustafsson (R) cracks Glover Teixeira with an uppercut during his fifth-round KO Sunday in Stockholm, Sweden. (Getty Images)

 

MMA mom slaps her son in the cage after humiliating loss

MMA fighter Viktor Kichigin’s mother was not in a caring mood after his loss to Ruslan Yamanbaev.

While MMA fighters carry a lot of mutual respect for each other, they share a sport of glory and humiliation. On Thursday night against Ruslan Yamanbaev, Russian Viktor Kichigin was on the receiving end of a bloody ground-and-pound that left him defeated and dejected at Fight Nights Global 67.

If that wasn’t enough, Kichigin had the misfortune of being trained by his mother, who spent the fight screaming in vain from the side of the cage. The embarrassment was complete when mom entered the cage to conduct a very forthright familial debrief, initially cleaning the bloody mess from her son’s face after a loss that moved the featherweight’s professional record to 10-5.

Get up! Get up! This is what Victor heard after this brutal GNP KO. Just Mom Kichigin way (FNG) pic.twitter.com/Tdafks4wHO

— Jolassanda (@Jolassanda) May 25, 2017

Adding insult to injury, Mom Kichigin disciplined her already battered soon with an improbable pair of strong slaps to the face.

(Warning: NSFW below)

Jesus, that was a brutal beatdown at FNG. Grigoriy Kichigin got his ass kicked, and then his mom slapped the shit out of him afterwards. pic.twitter.com/TJgWyGKDx8

— caposa (@Grabaka_Hitman) May 25, 2017

Kichigin didn’t take too kindly to the extra serving of punishment at the hands of his mother and stormed out of the cage, off to lock himself in his bedroom perhaps.

Kichigin left the cage after this pic.twitter.com/1XsgDc1Nfr

— caposa (@Grabaka_Hitman) May 25, 2017

One can only imagine the fear that tears through Kichigin on Mother’s Day when he discovers the only shop left open has sold out of flowers.

More MMA coverage on Yahoo Sports:

Heather Hardy signs with Bellator, to fight Alice Yauger in New York

Unbeaten boxer Heather Hardy will make her MMA debut on June 24 when she faces Alice Yauger at Bellator 180 in New York. (Getty Images)

Heather Hardy, who has put together a perfect 20-0 record en route to becoming arguably the most popular female boxer in the U.S., has signed with Bellator and will fight on its June 24 card at Madison Square Garden in New York.

Hardy, who is a major draw in New York for boxing, will face Alice Yauger in a three-round flyweight fight in one of the online preliminary fights at Bellator 180.

Last year, frustrated by her inability to make big money as a boxer despite her popularity and her perfect record, she announced she would compete in MMA as well and signed to fight at Invicta 21 against Brieta Carpenter.

That fight, though, was canceled when Carpenter was injured and so the bout with Yauger at Bellator 180 will be her MMA debut.

It figures to attract considerable attention in New York, where she has become a significant ticket-seller on promoter Lou DiBella’s “Broadway Boxing” shows.

She drew excellent ratings on NBC Sports Network last August for her fight with arch rival Shelly Vincent, and has become an in-demand fighter.

When she signed to face Carpenter, she was confident of victory despite her lack of MMA experience.

“I’m confident,” she told Thomas Gerbasi of Culturess.com. “If I was out on the street, you could give me 10 opponents, I’m not going to lose. They ain’t taking my wallet.”

Yauger, 38, is 4-5 and coming off a loss to Jessica Middleton at Bellator 171.

Romero vs. Whittaker interim title fight added to UFC 213 after Garbrandt injury

Yoel Romero will face Robert Whittaker for the interim UFC middlewight title at UFC 213. (Getty)

There has been a bit of a shakeup to the UFC’s big July show in Las Vegas that will likely affect future cards as well.

Speaking to ESPN.com, Dana White announced that bantamweight champion Cody Garbrandt will no longer face T.J. Dillashaw at UFC 213 due to Garbrandt suffering a back injury. With that title fight off of the July 8 pay per view card, another title fight was punched in as a replacement, albeit for an interim title.

Yoel Romero and Robert Whittaker will square off in the co-main event for the interim middleweight title. This effectively pushes the women’s bantamweight title fight between Amanda Nunes and Valentina Shevchenko into the main event. White said that an interim title fight was created after champion Michael Bisping was sidelined with a knee injury. He was originally expected to face Georges St-Pierre in the summer but things became complicated when the former welterweight champion suggested that he wouldn’t be available to compete until fall. Dana White called the Bisping-GSP fight off after Bisping stated that he would also be unable to defend his title. He hasn’t fought since last October when he defeated Dan Henderson.

Perhaps just as intriguing as the UFC 213 shakeup was the announcement that T.J. Dillashaw will be moved into an August title fight with flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson. Johnson is on the verge of breaking the all-time record for most consecutive title defenses. He currently has ten and is tied with Anderson Silva. A date hasn’t been announced but there was speculation that Johnson would headline a PPV card in Seattle that would likely be UFC 215.

Muay Thai fight ends with epic double knockdown

Dorian Price and Jonathan Lecat both recorded a knockdown, but Price wound up winning the fight. (YouTube)

It may not be the most inspiring result of his career, but for Muay Thai fighter Dorian Price, a win is a win.

The American fighter’s most recent triumph came this past weekend at a Max Muay Thai event in Thailand, when he defeated Jonathan Lecat of France in the bout’s final seconds. And while Price was indeed victorious, he certainly didn’t leave the fight unscathed.

In the video below, Price can be seen connecting a right-hook with Lecat’s jaw late in the fight. Lecat, however, connects an elbow to Price’s face at the same time, sending both fighters to the ground in one wild double knockdown.

As soon as the fighters hit the canvas, the referee can be seen dropping to down one knee to begin the double 10-count. The two were left sprawled out on the mat for a few seconds before Price returned to his feet to claim the win.

“I really don’t too much remember it, but I’m glad everybody seems to like it,” Price shared with Bloody Elbow after the fight. “Normally, I get 3 days off after a fight, but I think after the response I might get a full week … I’m glad everybody was entertained.”

It wasn’t pretty, but it got the job done.

More MMA coverage on Yahoo Sports:

It is repugnant that a pre-teen was permitted to fight an adult in MMA

Momoko Yamazaki vs. Momo
Momoko Yamazaki (left), a 24-year-old MMA fighter, was choked out by a 12-year-old known as Momo (R)

The headlines, of course, will primarily be about the “humiliation” and “embarrassment” suffered by a 24-year-old woman who was choked out in a mixed martial arts fight by a 12-year-old girl.

The headlines, though, will miss the point entirely.

On Saturday at Deep Jewels 16 in Tokyo, a 12-year-old known as “Momo” was for some reason allowed to fight an adult, 24-year-old Momoko Yamazaki. Per Bleacher Report, Momo won the fight by rear naked choke.

#deepjewels16 Momoko Yamazaki is unconcious after a RNC from 12 year old Momo! @sfultonMMA @deep_official @Jiujitsu_Jedi @MMAjunkie pic.twitter.com/4QK9zsnlFZ

— MMA Japan (@mmajpn1) May 20, 2017

It is repugnant that this farce was permitted. The fact that the pre-teen was victorious is beside the point. No 12-year-old is equipped, either physically or emotionally, to be competing against adults.

Their bodies — and minds — are still developing and the risks are far too great to allow this to occur.

That someone thought this would be a good idea is a study in poor judgment. Children this age and younger who compete need to do so in a structured, controlled environment against opponents of similar age, size and skill level.

It borders on child abuse that this was permitted.

We can only hope it is the last time it occurs, but sadly, the fact that the 12-year-old won the fight will cause some to justify it and put her back in the cage against another adult.

This is a tragedy waiting to happen, but common sense can prevent it.

 

 

UFC 211: Stipe Miocic gets revenge with KO win over Junior dos Santos

Stipe Miocic (L) fires a punch at Junior dos Santos during their UFC 211 fight on Saturday. (Getty)
Stipe Miocic (L) fires a punch at Junior dos Santos during their UFC 211 fight on Saturday. (Getty)

Stipe Miocic is big, athletic and powerful. And now that he has gained high-level experience, that’s a pretty hard combination to beat.

A rejuvenated Junior dos Santos was no match for Miocic on Saturday in Dallas in the main event of UFC 211, succumbing to booming straight right hands and a flurry of punches on the floor.

Miocic dropped dos Santos, an ex-champion who defeated him in a great battle in 2014, and pummeled him on the ground until referee Herb Dean stopped it at 2:22 of the first round.

He made his second consecutive successful title defense, tying a UFC record, and barely had to break a sweat.

He took two hard kicks early from dos Santos, and that left him limping, but it had no impact on the fight whatsoever. Miocic was stalking forward and dos Santos was retreating, with his back up against the cage.

The heavyweight division is at one of its peaks, with contenders like dos Santos, ex-champion Cain Velasquez, and powerful contenders in Francis Ngannou and Derrick Lewis. But it’s going to take a mighty effort to dethrone Miocic.

As dos Santos circled away and tried to create space, Miocic brilliantly cut off his retreat avenue and landed a crisp right hand that sent the ex-champion to the canvas on all fours.

For all intents and purposes, it was over there, but Miocic followed him to the ground and landed eight or nine punches before referee Herb Dean mercifully pulled him off to end it.

“We’ve been working on that for 10 weeks,” Miocic said of the right that finished the fight.

He was a far more composed and complete fighter than he was when he lost to dos Santos in Phoenix in 2014. He didn’t panic after taking the kicks, maneuvered dos Santos to where he wanted him and unloaded.

For dos Santos, he seemed wary of Miocic’s power and didn’t seem to have anything to make Miocic respect him and stay back.

A fighter like Miocic senses that instantly and goes for the kill.

He didn’t want to think about who his next opponent may be, and when asked what’s next, smiled and said, “Right now, it’s my kitchen.”

He deserves a good meal after that professional and workmanlike performance. There are plenty of good challengers now. The men he defeated in his first two title fights, Fabricio Werdum and Alistair Overeem, are set to fight at UFC 213 in Las Vegas on July 9.

If Velasquez is healthy – and that’s always a huge if – he’d pose a problem to Miocic. And the fight that many want to see will be the hard-hitting Ngannou against Miocic.

Ngannou, who is quickly shooting up the ranks, recently moved to Las Vegas to try to accelerate his progress.

There are plenty of options out there, but Miocic isn’t going to be an easy night for any of them. One more big win and he may be regarded as the best heavyweight in UFC history, with nowhere to go but up.