Boxing-Russian coach diagnosed with coronavirus after Olympic qualifiers

A Russian national boxing team coach has tested positive for the coronavirus after returning home from Olympic qualifiers cut short in London last month. Anton Kadushin, who works with Gleb Bakshi, the 2019 world champion in the middleweight class, wrote on his Instagram page on Thursday that he had tested positive for the virus. The head of Russia's boxing federation, Umar Kremlev, said in a statement on its website that the situation was under control and that Kadushin had a mild case of the virus.

Fury hungry to repeat Wilder win in rematch

Tyson Fury says he will never tire of beating Deontay Wilder in anticipation of his third fight against the American heavyweight, even though his potential all-British showdown with Anthony Joshua is on hold for now. Following a controversial draw in December 2018, Fury overpowered Wilder in Las Vegas in February, beating him in seven rounds. Wilder has activated the rematch clause in his contract, delaying the possibility of a hugely anticipated unification bout between WBC champion Fury and Anthony Joshua, who holds the WBA, IBF and WBO titles.

British boxer has license suspended over video comments

British boxer Billy Joe Saunders had his boxing license suspended Monday after publishing a social media video in which he appeared to condone domestic violence amid the coronavirus outbreak. The British Boxing Board of Control said it has investigated Saunders' comments and decided to suspend his license under the regulations for misconduct.

Saunders’ boxing licence suspended after domestic violence ‘advice’ video

Boxing chiefs suspended WBO super-middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders' licence on Monday after he offered men advice on how to hit their female partners during the coronavirus lockdown. The British fighter released a video on social media using a punchbag to describe how to "hit her on the chin". A brief statement from the governing body said: "The British Boxing Board of Control, having considered comments made by Billy Joe Saunders on social media, have suspended his boxer's licence pending a hearing under the board's misconduct regulation, at a time and venue to be confirmed as soon as possible."

British authorities suspend Saunders’ boxing license

The British Boxing Board of Control (BBBofC) said in a statement that Saunders' license would be suspended until a hearing could be arranged under its misconduct regulations. Saunders had filmed himself punching a bag in a barn and advising "dads, husbands and men with girlfriends" how to deal with their female partners during the coronavirus lockdown. Saunders apologized for the video on social media over the weekend and again on British radio station TalkSPORT on Monday, when he also pledged to donate 25,000 pounds ($31,000) to domestic abuse charities.

Boxing-British authorities suspend Saunders’ boxing licence

WBO super middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders had his licence suspended by Britain's boxing authorities on Monday after a social media post in which he advised men how to hit their female partners during the coronavirus lockdown. The British Boxing Board of Control (BBBofC) said in a statement that Saunders' licence would be suspended until a hearing could be arranged under its misconduct regulations. Saunders had filmed himself punching a bag in a barn and advising "dads, husbands and men with girlfriends" how to deal with their female partners during the coronavirus lockdown.

Hopkins, Mosley entry to Boxing Hall of Fame delayed to ’21

Legendary world champions Bernard Hopkins and "Sugar" Shane Mosley will have their inductions to the International Boxing Hall of Fame postponed to 2021 due to the coronavirus pandemic. Both US fighters were to have been enshrined along with the complete Class of 2020 on June 11-14 in ceremonies at the facility in Canastota, New York, which has temporarily closed due to the deadly virus outbreak. Instead, the 2020 inductees will be included in a double ceremony with the 2021 inductees on June 10-13, 2021, the Hall announced in a website posting.

Whyte fight rescheduled as Hearn eyes boxing behind closed doors

Dillian Whyte's heavyweight clash with former world champion Alexander Povetkin has been rescheduled due to the coronavirus pandemic but British promoter Eddie Hearn said boxing could return behind closed doors in June. Matchroom Boxing on Monday confirmed the postponement of all their events scheduled for May, including bouts involving Whyte, Ireland's Katie Taylor and British fighter Dereck Chisora. "In line with the BBBofC (British Boxing Board of Control) and government guidelines relating to COVID-19, Matchroom Boxing have postponed all events scheduled to be taking place in May," it said in a statement.

Virus forces cancellation of Boxing HOF induction ceremony

The International Boxing Hall of Fame has canceled its Hall of Fame weekend in June because of the coronavirus pandemic. Executive director Ed Brophy said Sunday that this year's class will be honored at the induction ceremony in June 2021. The Class of 2020 includes the first female honorees in Barbara Buttrick, Christy Martin, and Lucia Rijker, along with Bernard Hopkins, Juan Manuel Marquez, ''Sugar'' Shane Mosley, Frank Erne, and Paddy Ryan.

World champion boxer Saunders sorry for ‘hit women’ virus video

British world champion boxer Billy Joe Saunders was forced to apologise Saturday after a video emerged of him handing out advice to men on how to attack women if domestic arguments occur during tense coronavirus lockdowns. WBO super middleweight champion Saunders, 30, is seen in the video giving tips on how to react if "your old woman is....coming at you, spitting a bit of venom in your face". Saunders apologised if he "offended any women".

Russian boxers appear to flout coronavirus self-isolation rules

Several members of Russia's national boxing team have posted online pictures or videos that appear to show them flouting self-isolation rules imposed to slow the spread of the coronavirus, social media posts reviewed by Reuters show. The Russian national boxing team returned home last week after an Olympic qualification tournament in London was halted on March 16 because of the rapidly spreading virus. Two Turkish boxers and one coach tested positive for the coronavirus after returning home from the event.

Boxing-Task Force questions link between London qualifier and virus tests

Organisers of a suspended Olympic boxing qualifying tournament in London hit back at accusations of irresponsibility on Thursday after two Turkish competitors and a coach tested positive for coronavirus on returning home. The International Olympic Committee's Boxing Task Force (BTF), who organised the event after last year's suspension of world boxing body AIBA, wished those concerned a speedy recovery. "Some news reports appeared to draw a connection between the affected participants and the Boxing Road to Tokyo European qualifier held in London," it said in a statement.

IOC Boxing Task Force defends London event after virus strikes

The International Olympic Committee's Boxing Task Force on Thursday questioned claims from Turkish officials that it facilitated the spread of coronavirus by allowing this month's qualifying tournament in London to go ahead. The Boxing Road to Tokyo tournament, featuring competitors from across Europe, started on March 14 but was suspended after just three days. Eyup Gozgec, president of the Turkish Boxing Federation, was scathing about the tournament in the British capital.

Boxer Amir Khan offers wedding venue to Britain’s NHS

Former boxing world champion Amir Khan has become the latest sportsman to help in the fight against the coronavirus, offering his wedding venue for use by Britain's National Health Service. Khan is ready to hand over the keys to the 60,000-square-feet (5,600-square-metre) venue in his home town of Bolton as concerns grow over bed shortages. Former Manchester United players Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs have given health workers free access to their hotels in Manchester.