MLS finds Inter Miami broke budget rules with Blaise Matuidi signing

  • France midfielder ‘should have been a designated player’
  • David Beckham’s team loan player out to comply with rules

David Beckham’s Inter Miami were found by Major League Soccer to have violated league budget rules with its signing of France midfielder Blaise Matuidi. MLS said in a Friday statement that final results of the investigation, including possible sanctions, will be announced “in the near future.”

The league has concluded that Matuidi, who joined the team from Juventus last August, “should have been classified as a designated player” for the 2020 season because of his salary.

Related: MLS 2021 predictions: LAFC’s first title and the return of Josef Martínez

Related: Former NFL star Marshawn Lynch joins ownership group of Oakland Roots SC

Continue reading...

Investors have paid $325m for a place in MLS. But for how much longer?

The fortunes handed out for a spot in the league have always been based on the future worth of soccer in North America. But Covid-19 may cause some to reassess

2023 was slated to be Sacramento Republic’s expansion year in Major League Soccer. After long and protracted negotiations to secure a franchise, it was provisionally announced in October 2019 that California’s capital city had been awarded a spot in the league. That may be the closest Sacramento ever gets to MLS, though, with billionaire Ron Burkle pulling out as lead investor amid the fallout of the Covid-19 pandemic. The club’s entry to MLS is now on hiatus.

According to commissioner Don Garber, MLS lost close to $1bn in revenue over 2020. “The losses have been dramatic,” he told reporters in December. “Clubs are going to have to manage their economics as diligently as possible.” Even more striking was that Garber, just a few months later, claimed MLS could lose close to the same figure in 2021.

Related: A team by any other name: why are MLS clubs so keen on rebrands?

Continue reading...